Tuesday, March 27

Lovin' Indy Freecycle!

I have recently discovered the joys of Freecycle.org. I have only been fortunate enough to grab two things quick enough, but I've gotten Sydney a big box of books (Judy Blume, and some great children's classics), and today I picked up curtains for the kids' rooms (Monster's Inc. and Spiderman). The woman even threw in some Halloween hand towels and a pillowcase. I have some things around here I think I'm going to Freecycle, too. I usually take most things to Thrifty Threads where women who live in a local women's shelter shop free-of-charge. Two years ago when I cleaned out my house, we took at least five trunk loads full of stuff, including like 10 trash bags full of clothes. I'm looking forward to seeing what all we can donate this time, too. We are really trying to scale down our lives, if you can't tell.

So anyway, when I was picking up the curtains, I stopped at Georgetown Market a local natural foods store and picked up some bulk spices and some yeast. Man, I tell you, the grocery stores making a killing of a profit on yeast!!! You buy those crappy convenient three-packs for like $2, right?? I bought a half-pound bag of bulk yeast (which is undoubtedly fresher...) for $2. I haven't been able to find bulk yeast for a long time since Nature's Cupboard stopped carrying it. That's part of the reason I haven't been making bread. Well, ok, its a VERY small part of why lol... Anyway, now I can make some delicious homemade bread again on Saturday and take some to my aunt's house for supper - mmmmm mmmm good!

Hmm, it seems like this post was full of links and advertisements... maybe they should be paying me to talk about some places I like... :-)

6 comments:

Manic Witch said...

I embraced the Freecycle-love a few years ago. I even "owned/moderated" a group for a couple of years. I have gotten rid of and gained so much stuff it's not even funny. I even managed to snag a bunch of yarn, needles and patterns when I first started knitting. I scored a glider-bench for my deck where I can knit on nice days. I got a butt load of books and an aquarium for my step-son.
I had a bunch of cross-stitch stuff that I knew I was never going to use again, and a women who volunteers at a retirement home got that for the lil old ladies to keep them occupied. THAT request reminded me that I had a ton of creamics stuff-paint, brushes and some fired pieces that just needed staining. I gave that to her too. She was overjoyed, I cleared out some room in my attic and the old folks got some freebie craft stuff. AND it kept all that stuff out of landfills. EVERYONE got to benefit from one little transaction.

Keppy Boone said...

Its such a great thing. Every time I login to my email to read the offers I remember sitting in the parlor of the house I lived in when I was little listening to the "party line" and my mom calling in things or writing down things she was going to get. It was so much fun! (LOL Yes, my house DID in fact have a "parlor". When I was little we were um, financially-challenged hehe and this nice lady offered her GIGANTIC victorian house for dirt cheap rent to my parents. It had like a "maid's chambers" and everything. But it was so big I was terrified the whole time we lived there haha! I thought Dracula lived in the storage seats in a bay window... LOL!!!)

Marigold said...

Freecycle is nifty! I've been doing it for awhile now...I love the conept. concept. Typing one handed makes me misspell :( Anyway (two handed now) thanks for the links, I knew where Nature's cupboard was, but I haven't seen the other one. I don't buy my yeast in little packets (I get the jars!) but I would rather get it in bulk.

Keppy Boone said...

If you buy it in bulk, remember its even MORE important to put it in the fridge or the freezer because it's not airtight. (You should keep it there anyway, even in the jars, it makes it last longer.)

Manic Witch said...

Would you believe I had to turn down a hot tub this morning? I replied to an offer, I got chosen, and I had to reply that we couldn't take it after all. A hot tub! A. HOT. TUB!! 6+ person, great shape, works, cover....We just don't have the manpower, trailer and space to move it and set it up right now. But there are wonderous things out there.

Keppy Boone said...

Oh man that SUCKS!!!!! :-(